Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQ's
1. What is the best product and method to use for keeping hands clean?
Use soap or a liquid or foaming hand wash to clean hands thoroughly. Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds, and drying thoroughly is the best way to help keep safe by washing away germs and bacteria that we may come in contact with in our day to day activities.
2. If I’ve run out of soap or hand wash, what can I use?
Body wash or shampoo will also clean dirt and grime and wash away germs and bacteria from hands. Dish liquid can also be used, although it may dry skin out a little when used directly on skin, so we recommend using it only as a temporary measure. It is important to follow the same guidelines for washing hands (20 secs) as above.
3. Are ecostore soaps or hand washes antibacterial, disinfectant or contain alcohol?
No our soaps and hand washes do not contain alcohol, antibacterial properties or disinfectant. However, frequent hand washing with regular soap is imperative for keeping safe as the soap and warm water wash away the bacteria and germs that we may come in contact with in our daily activities.
4. Are ecostore soaps and hand washes strong enough to kill germs – they’re ‘gentle cleansing, and made from plants and minerals’?
By 'gentle cleansing' we mean our products are pH balanced and milder on skin. They are designed to provide effective cleansing, while being kinder on your skin and the environment. Washing your hands for 20 seconds, and drying thoroughly is the best way to help keep safe by washing away germs and bacteria that we may come in contact with in our daily activities.
5. Are alcohol-based hand sanitisers better to use than soap?
Washing hands with soap and water is the best way to get rid of germs in most situations. If soap and water are not readily available, you can use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser that contains at least 60% alcohol. You can tell if the sanitiser contains at least 60% alcohol by looking at the product label. Sanitisers can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in many situations.
6. Are there any reasons why I should use Ultra Sensitive hand wash or soap?
If you have sensitive skin, asthma, allergies or your skin has reacted to other soaps or hand washes, our fragrance free Ultra Sensitive range has been endorsed by the Sensitive Choice® programme. Our Ultra Sensitive range has the same cleaning properties as our fragranced ranges, they are just fragrance free. They have been dermatologically tested for sensitive skin and proven to be a better choice for people with sensitivities.
7. My hands are very dry with repeated hand washing, what do you recommend I do?
You may want to consider which hand wash you are using, and consider using a hand cream or moisturiser.
- All our liquid hand washes contain hydrating harakeke, which helps to retain moisture in your skin.
- Our Ultra Sensitive soap and hand wash have been dermatologically tested for sensitive skin and proven to be a better choice for people with sensitivities.
- We offer several moisturisers (NZ only); Extra Moisturising Hand Cream, Extra Moisturising Body Lotion, Ultra Sensitive Body Lotion, and Moisturising Body Butter.
Apply moisturiser to hands as and when you experience dryness. It is not necessary to apply after every hand wash, just as necessary.
8. What are the best steps to ensure surfaces are safe in my home?
- The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces, according to public health experts at the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC).
- We recommend cleaning and wiping down frequently touched surfaces often and regularly.
- Pay special attention to areas such as the kitchen and bathroom.
- Pay special attention to focus on high touch areas— that’s tap handles, doorknobs, stair rails and countertops — the things that you have your hands on all the time.
- When done cleaning, wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
9. What does antibacterial cleaning mean? What does disinfecting mean?
- Antibacterial products help to disinfect common household surfaces. They act to kill bacteria present on surfaces.
- Non-antibacterial (regular) household cleaning products are used to clean surfaces, removing soil, dirt, grease and grime. Cleaning your home regularly helps take the dirt and grease off, effectively removing any bacteria that may be present on the surface.
- Cleaning refers to the removal of germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces. Cleaning does not kill germs, but by removing them, it lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection.
- Disinfecting refers to using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces. This process does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces or remove germs, but by killing germs on a surface after cleaning, it can further lower the risk of spreading infection
10. Do ecostore Multi-purpose Cleaners provide antibacterial or disinfectant properties, or contain alcohol / sanitiser?
We have three antibacterial products:
- Multi Purpose Citrus Spray Cleaner
- Bathroom & Shower Spray Cleaner
- Toilet Cleaner
Our cleaning products do not contain alcohol. However they have been tested to effectively eliminate common household germs (antibacterial action that kills salmonella, e.coli, staphylococcus and enterococcus) and work as a disinfectant when applied as per instructions.
11. What is the best method for cleaning surfaces to help stop coronavirus spread?
To disinfect bathrooms and household surfaces thoroughly spray ecostore Bathroom & Shower Cleaner or Multi-purpose Citrus Spray Cleaner onto these non-porous surfaces, leave for 10 minutes before wiping off thoroughly with a clean cloth. (Do not use on porous, cracked, non-glazed or unsealed surfaces, marble, terrazzo or aluminium. If in doubt, spot test on hidden surface area first). Our antibacterial products have only been tested against common household germs, they have not been specifiically tested against the coronavirus.
12. Is ecostore Ultra Sensitive Multi-purpose Cleaner as effective at cleaning as other cleaners?
Our Ultra Sensitive Multi-purpose Cleaner provides effective cleaning, while being kinder on skin and the environment. Based on plants and minerals, fragrance free and endorsed by Sensitive Choice®. It is NOT antibacterial, so it will not kill germs, but it will help to remove germs, bacteria, dirt, and impurities from surfaces, lowering their numbers and the risk of spreading infection.
13. Are there any reasons why I should use Ultra Sensitive Multi-purpose Cleaner?
If you have sensitive skin, asthma, allergies or your skin has reacted to other cleaning products, our fragrance free Ultra Sensitive range has been endorsed by the Sensitive Choice® programme. Many fragrances contain allergens, so for people with sensitivities, this is a great product to use.
14. Will ecostore Toilet Cleaner effectively clean against coronavirus?
Our Toilet Cleaner is safe and highly effective. The formula is acidic so it provides disinfectant properties when used as per directions. For best results apply and leave for 10 minutes, then scrub with a toilet brush and flush. The antibacterial effectiveness of this product have only been tested against common household bacteria. It has not been specifically tested against the coronavirus.
15. What is the best method for washing cups, plates and dishes to keep safe from coronavirus?
The most sterile way to wash your dishes is in a dishwasher, due to the hot water used, hot drying and all in a controlled environment. We recommend our Dish Tabs or Dish Powder and Rinse Aid.
16. Is ecostore Dish Liquid antibacterial?
No our Dish Liquid does not contain antibacterial properties. However, keeping dishes clean and washing away any bacteria and germs is important. Our Dish Liquid will effectively do that. For handwashing dishes our recommendation is to:
- Prep your plates (i.e. removing food waste)
- Fill your sink with hot water
- Add the amount of dish liquid recommended on your pack
- Wash dishes thoroughly with mechanic action
- Dry them with a fresh towel
- Finally, wash your hands afterwards for the recommended time period
17. Can I use Dish Liquid to wash my hands instead of soap?
Yes, all surfactants act to remove dirt, soil or grease to provide effective cleaning, but it may dry your hands out a little through using it directly on your skin.
18. Is ecostore Ultra Sensitive Dish Liquid as effective at cleaning as other Dish Liquids?
Yes. Our Ultra Sensitive range has the same cleaning properties as our fragranced ranges, they are just fragrance free, so perfect for those with allergies or asthma.
19. How often should I be cleaning my tea towels and hand towels?
You may be spending more time at home, and washing your hands more frequently, so we advise washing tea towels and hand towels more frequently.
20. Is it more effective to use larger doses of Laundry Powder / Laundry Liquid to clean items?
It is important that you continue to follow the manufacturer's guidance with washing instructions, particularly with regards to dosing. By adding too much, you could cause issues / damage with clothes and washing machines.
21. Are ecostore Laundry products safe to use against the coronavirus?
Our Laundry products are designed to remove everyday dirt and grime. In doing so germs will be reduced / removed, however we cannot be certain about this particular strain as we have not tested against this. The WHO recommends maintaining best hygiene practices will reduce the spread of this virus.
22. What is the best way to keep safe with oral hygiene?
- If you share a house with others, keep toothbrushes at a distance from each other.
- If you have been sick, change your toothbrush once you are well again.
- Ensure you clean bathroom surfaces regularly.
23. What is the best way to keep babies safe?
Washing baby’s hands regularly, cleaning surface areas and floors regularly and consider washing baby toys that go in baby’s mouth. Social distancing is also important.