Lamb Shank Quinoa Soup
This recipe came about out of vivid memories of the Lamb Shank Pearl Barley soup my nan used to make often. It’s got all the flavours of this old time favourite, just with a whole lot more goodness.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 large lamb shanks
- 2 litres water
- 1 large onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 bayleaf
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ bunch kale, leaves stripped off stems
- 1 cup fresh parsley sprigs
- Place the quinoa in a bowl and cover with water (to soak it). Set aside.
- Place the lamb shanks into a large pot with the 2 litres of water, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Remove any scum that forms on top and add the onion, garlic, carrots, parsnip, celery, potatoes, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for another 40 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the soaked quinoa very well to remove the bitter saponins. Add to the pot and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper (generously) and add the kale to wilt.
- Serve with fresh parsley.
Georgia Harding is a Naturopath (20+ yrs exp.) author, mother and passionate health educator. On her website ‘Well Nourished’ she shares fad-free health advice and intolerance/allergy friendly recipes to inspire people to live happy, healthy lives and create delicious food memories.
Georgia is committed to supporting the health of this generation and especially loves to help parents feed their children ‘well’. She endeavours to simplify nutrition and make cooking nourishing meals achievable for everyone.