Warming Winter lentil and coconut soup
With winter here, what better way to warm up then a bowl of hearty veggie-packed soup! Winter can take a toll on our immune system, however by including more nutrient-rich vegetables into our diet we can help make our natural defences stronger - the more we're eating the merrier! With the addition of plant-based, protein-rich lentils, a bowlful of this nutritionally balanced soup is ideal on chilly eves.
Red Lentil and Coconut Soup
1 tbsp oil
1 brown onion
1-2 ribs of celery
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground corainder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 litre of vegetable stock
1 cup of water
1 tin of crushed tomatoes
1 cup dried red lentils
1 tin of coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup parsley
Small bunch of cavolo nero/silverbeet
1. Peel and slice onion into half-moons. Slice carrot and celery in small bite-sized pieces.
2. Heat oil in a large soup pot. Sauté onions until soft and clear.
3. Add the carrot, celery, coriander, cumin and paprika. Sauté for a two minutes.
4. In a sieve rinse the lentils until cold running water until the water runs clear. Add the vegetable stock, water, tin of tomato, and lentils. Mix well, and turn up the heat until the soup is boiling, and then reduce the soup to a simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Add the tin of coconut milk and salt. Mix well.
6. Finely slice parsley and cavolo nero and add to the pot. Mix well.
To serve: top with a little swirl of coconut milk or plain yoghurt and garnish with fresh herbs, such as coriander or parsley.
This recipe comes from nutritionist Danijela Unkovich at Healthy Always, where she shares recipe ideas and wellness inspiration.